Thursday, May 31, 2012

Book Review: Give Me by L.K. Rigel

Publishing Info:

Title - Give Me: A Tale of Wyrd and Fae (Tethers #1)
Author - L.K. Rigel
Publisher - Sanguibahd Press
Date Published -  2011
# of pages -214


Summary:

Lilith Evergreen has always lived in the California desert, but when she receives an antique ring as a gift, she dreams of a magnificent tree at cliff's edge, a castle by the sea, and a mysterious woman who bids Lilith to come to Dumnos, a land of mist and rain.

Cade Bausiney is the future Earl of Dumnos, but at present he just wants to bolster the local economy with a scheme to increase tourism. When Cade and Lilith meet, they're overwhelmed with longing for each other - but their desire might be magically induced.

Long ago a witch's spell ended in disaster that left two souls to haunt Dumnos to this day. Lilith and Cade must find a way to make things right - or be forever possessed by the spirits who've waited a millennium to consummate their love.


Thoughts:

I wasn't sure what to expect when picking up Give Me by L.K. Rigel. Sure, I've read every single one of L.K. Rigel's books so far, but this seemed like it would be very different from her Apocalypto series. Looking back now I'm not so sure why I thought those things. It makes perfect sense in the world of L.K. Rigel to create a world of wyrd and fae!


I liked what was presented here. Through a series of events that leads the main character, Lilith, to go on vacation to little known Dumnos she is swept up in a story of fae and wyrd and their influence over the town's history. The story switches back and forth between pivotal characters and we learn about Elyse and Lourdes, two wyrding sisters who are caught up in a disagreement over Lourdes infatuation with the nobleman about to be married.

When this story first starts I really didn't have any idea how it was going to relate back to Lilith's story. It seemed for the longest time that I was reading two completely different stories. And then we are introduced to Cade, the male protaganist in Lilith's story and also the man she is slowly falling in love with, despite her claim that she's "taking a break" from men. All these characters were fascinating. My only problem was I think I had trouble really getting into the story because I kept forgetting who all the other characters were in their perspectives. This made the story confusing for me at times.

The thing I liked the most about Give Me was the story between the wyrd and the fae, how the fae kept trying to steal away the women and the stories the wyrd told about their own experiences with them. I also enjoyed the story behind Glimmer Cottage and Dumnos, how the cottage was invisible to humans and how technology wouldn't work in the town. It gave it an otherworldly feeling yet being set in the modern day made it more accessible for me.

This is the first book in the Tethers series by L.K. Rigel. There seemed to be a definite end to the story so I'm curious how the author will choose to continue to the series. I'm also curious about what else the wyrd and fae could be up to.








Disclaimer: I received a free e-copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest opinion.

You can buy Give Me in Kindle and paperback formats from Amazon. 
You can check out more reviews or add it to your Goodreads list.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds good, and completely different from her Apocalypto series. The cover is gorgeous, and fits right into your blog design. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so completely different and yet the wyrd and fae are SO L.K. Rigel. Ha! I did notice how well that cover went with my blog design. Funny how that works out sometimes.

      Delete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison