Friday, May 4, 2012

Reviews: Short Stories

I have two short story collections and one short story to review today. Since they are all short reviews of stories I decided to highlight them in one post.



Publishing Info: 
Title - Quite As They Come (free short story only)
Author - Angie Chau
Publisher - Ig Publishing
Date Published -  2010
# of words - unknown

Summary:

** This book comes in two versions - a free Kindle download of the short story titled "Quiet As They Come" and a full length story collection with the same name. This review is for the free Kindle download of the short story. The book description for both are the same.

Quiet As They Comeis a beautiful and at times brutal portrait of a people caught between two cultures. Set in San Francisco from the 1980s to the present day, this debut collection explores the lives of several families of Vietnamese immigrants as they struggle to adjust to life in their new country, often haunted by the memories and customs of their old lives in Vietnam. While some are able to survive and assimilate, others are crushed by the promise of the "American Dream." No matter their fate, you will never be able to forget the people you meet in this remarkable collection.

Thoughts:

The story was very dark and violent in more than one way. First because it deals with human smuggling, cultural memories (ie. of war and violence), and then because it showcases just one way that immigrants are ostracized in American society. Second because it does deal with a violent situation that the main character remembers, he overcame. The story was significant and although I didn't enjoy it at first and had a distaste for the plot and characters, in the end I couldn't help but to be impressed by it. I think it showcases very important issues and reminded me of the things that immigrants can go through just to find a kind of safehaven for themselves.

Disclaimer: Free Kindle download.

You can purchase the full length collection of Quiet As They Come in paperback and kindle format from Amazon. Unfortunately, the free short story is no longer available.
You can check out more reviews or add it to your Goodreads list.


Publishing Info: 
Title - Evolvement
Author - Isaac Sweeney
Publisher - unknown
Date Published - 2011
# of words - 15, 000
# of pages - 87

Summary:


A college student faces a supernatural battle on a bridge. A man sees the dark side of humanity after his car breaks down. A writer obsesses over a fictional woman, sometimes forgetting about real life. A strange cat reveals much about a young couple. An elderly man experiences new loves and losses ...

... watch these characters evolve!

Evolvement consists of stories from the previously released ebooks Hard Creek Bridge: a short story, Wouldn’t Last Forever, and Against Her Fading Hour, along with three new stories.



Thoughts:

I first heard about Isaac Sweeney when he came on my blog to share one of the stories in this collection, "Twelve Years From Then". It was a beautiful story and I was excited to get the chance to read the rest of the collection. I enjoyed Isaac's writing. It flows quite nicely and there seems to be something beyond the surface of the text. Some emotion, some experience beyond the words themselves. I have to admit that it was wonderful to see that kind of depth in something as short as a simple story. However, it's also one of the reasons I didn't enjoy every aspect of it as much I wished I did. A few things were lost on me. I also did not quite connect to some of the characters like I normally do. Overall a wonderfully written book. Just not one I fully understood.


Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest opinion.

You can purchase Evolvement in kindle and paperback formats from Amazon.
You can check out more reviews or add it to your Goodreads list.
 


 
 
Publishing Info: 
Title - Shades of Love, stories from the heart
Author - Sunny Lockwood
Publisher - merikay macloed
Date Published - 2011
# of pages - 66

Summary:


Six delightful short stories, each as refreshing as an after-dinner mint. Taken together, they explore how love can heal, can hurt, can calm and comfort, or can twirl you around and set you dancing. If you've ever longed for romance, walked away from a troubled relationship, struggled with a parent or child, or laughed about a date gone wrong, you'll identify with these stories.


Thoughts:

What a wonderful collection of stories. Every single story covers an aspect of love you may find in every day life - a mother's love, a couple's love, fleeting love, and more. I found myself entranced by Sunny Lockwood's writing. It was very easy to get into and I felt a connection to each of the characters almost immediately. On top of that I found myself saying quietly to myself "aww" at the end of every story. I was surprised on more than one occasion at myself for doing so especially since some of the characters have much darker stories than others. This was my favourite short story collection in a long time. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to read something uplifting that isn't just "fluff".


Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest opinion.

You can purchase Shades of Love in kindle format from Amazon
 
You can check out more reviews or add it to your Goodreads list.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison