Friday, May 25, 2012

Short Story Review: Say Not What If by Andrew Friedman

Publishing Info:

Title - Say Not What If

Author - Andrew Friedman
Publisher - CreateSpace
Date Published -  2011
# of pages - 51

Summary:

Say Not What If” is about a man on death row, and has as its theme the concept that time is our most valuable commodity. As someone once said, “waste anything but time, because we really are promised no tomorrows.” This theme is explored through the life of a man who sacrifices his marriage and everything else for his career. He realizes much too late the terrible consequences of this decision, and then desperately tries to regain those lost years by making a much worse choice. The resolution of this latter choice involves an additional examination of the concepts of accountability and responsibility, redemption, and the morality of the death penalty.

Thoughts:

A short story in verse, Say Not What If was crafted in an extremely compelling and insightful voice. Following a man who is misleadinly told by "the keepers" that in order to get back his life he must take the life of another - and they want a child. Unfortunately he is caught after doing so and goes to jail where he awaits death row.


The whole story of this man reads like a train wreck that you just have to stop and see what happened and how big of a disaster it really is. The story moved quickly but at the same time a lot happened. The book explores many issues like death row, family, lost time, and regret, without losing it's edge. The most compelling scene in my eyes was when the judge must decide if the death penalty is an ethical choice. There are debates from both sides and both are considered fairly. It was dramatic and very well written.


I enjoyed this book immensely. It has been a while since I have read it and I still get excited every time I see it on my shelves. I hope to find someone to pass it on to or re-read it many times later on. My only complaint was that fifty pages of rhyming lines became too tiresome for me although I was amazed at Mr. Friedman's skill in that regard. I wished I could have slowed down and enjoyed it more but the story was a page-turner and I didn't want to stop.





Disclaimer: I received a free copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest opinion.

You can buy  Say Not What If in Kindle and paperback formats from Amazon. 
 
You can check out more reviews or add it to your Goodreads list.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison