Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Children's Corner: Board Book Review: Jane Eyre by Jennifer Adams

Jane Eyre: A Counting Primer
Words by Jennifer Adams
Illustrated by Alison Oliver
Published by Glibbs Smith Books
Published in 2012
22 Pages
Ages baby/toddler

Summary:
 
With the perennial popularity of classic writers like Charlotte Bronte and Lewis Carroll, Baby Lit is a fashionable way to introduce your toddler to the world of classic literature. With clever, simple text by Jennifer Adams, paired with stylish design and illustrations by Sugar's Alison Oliver, Little Miss Bronte and Little Master Carroll are a must for every savvy parent's nursery library.

A line or two: 

1 GOVERNESS


2 TRUNKS


3 CANDLES


... (pages 1-5)

My Thoughts:

This is the second baby lit board book I have received from Glibb Smith Books and written/illustrated by Jennifer Adams and Alison Oliver. It is also a board book version of one of my favourite books of all time. This little board book is meant for babies and toddlers. It had my squealing and giggling like a fangirl. Yes, I love Jane Eyre that much.

As with Alice in Wonderland I really appreciated all the little details that the artist included. Only this time I found there were a lot more little details that someone who has read the orginial Jane Eyre would love. For example, one of the items to count is drawings. So, not only do you get that detail from the original - one of Jane's favourite past times, you also get to count the pictures that Jane drew. There is a picture of Adele, Mr. Rochester, Thornfield Hall, and more. There are also other things Jane loved that are up for counting. I loved that.

When I first got these board books my daughter was really excited about them and wanted me to share with her too. She liked Alice in Wonderland but she carried Jane Eyre around with her everywhere. She really liked to count the different things in it. I think she liked the pictures I mentioned above, and the page of insects the best. I did have trouble explaining some things to her so it did fail a bit in that regard. How do I explain to a two and a half year old what a governess is, for example? But I can't deny that this was the more popular book of the two in my particular family.

I enjoyed it, my daughter enjoyed it, and for that reason I would definitely recommend the Jane Eyre board book.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion.


You can purchase Jane Eyre in board book format from Amazon.

You can also see Jane Eyre on Goodreads to read more reviews or add it to your list.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison