Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Book Review: Ten Girls to Watch by Charity Shumway

Publishing Info:

Title - Ten Girls to Watch
Author - Charity Shumway
Publisher - Atria Books/Washington Square Press
Date Published -  2012
# of pages - 368


Summary:

A radiant debut novel about stumbling through the early years of adulthoodand a love letter to the role models who light the way. Like so many other recent graduates, Dawn West is trying to make her way in New York City. She’s got an ex-boyfriend she can’t quite stop seeing, a roommate who views rent checks and basic hygiene as optional, and a writing career that’s gotten as far as penning an online lawn care advice column.

So when Dawn lands a job tracking down the past winners of Charm magazine’s “Ten Girls to Watch” contest, she’s thrilled. After all, she’s being paid to interview hundreds of fascinating women: once outstanding college students, they have gone on to become mayors, opera singers, and air force pilots. As Dawn gets to know their life stories, she’ll discover that success, love, and friendship can be found in the most unexpected of places. Most importantly, she’ll learn that while those who came before us can be role models, ultimately, we each have to create our own happy ending.


Thoughts:

I finished Ten Girls to Watch less than 24 hours ago. I was so excited then to share how much I loved it with the world, but as I sit here at my computer trying to write out my thoughts, I'm almost speechless trying to come up with an adequite way to say how much the book means to me.

At first glance Ten Girls to Watch looks a fun little chick lit or women's fiction about the ins and outs of finding your first job after college, the woes of apartment renting, and busted love lives, but as I began to read the story with deeper meaning, it became much more than that. I loved every single moment of Dawn speaking to past Ten winners. They were especially meaningful. Although it could have felt like filler being almost like little stories of their own, I started to look forward to the next time Dawn settled down into her work desk and plotted away at tracking down all those past winners.

Every time Dawn spoke to one of the winners I could see her growth as a character but I also took many of the messages to heart because the wisdom within their words were so powerful (even if they were just fictional characters).

I really connected to Dawn and understood her way of thinking. I was really happy with the direction the author took in her love story because it was exactly what I wanted to happen yet it was also far from the norm of what usually happens in these type of books.

I highly recommend this one to any woman who needs a bit of inspiration and encouragement in her life. I really liked the "moral" of the story because it hit so close to home and I know I will remember those words for a long time to come.





Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion.
You can buy Ten Girls to Watch in Kindle  and paperback formats from Amazon. 
You can check out more reviews or add it to your Goodreads list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison